Mark Wilson is a corporate and business attorney in Nashville, Tennessee. Many businesses look to Mark to lead their companies through complex transactions, navigate important governance issues, and provide trusted counsel to their businesses. Such matters often include start-up capital raising, mergers and acquisitions, corporate disputes, data privacy and security, and outside general counsel services. Mark works with companies at all stages of the business life cycle and frequently works with closely held businesses and high-growth and emerging companies across a variety of industries, including financial services, healthcare, technology, real estate, hospitality, and various lifestyle businesses.
Mark assists startups, founders, and entrepreneurs in initial entity selection and formation, and later in developing equity compensation plans, negotiating strategic commercial partnerships, and leading them through growth initiatives, acquisitions, and ultimately the sale of their businesses. Startups also frequently look to Mark to guide them through early-stage debt or equity financing rounds and venture capital fundraising.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Mark represents buyers and sellers of small and middle-market businesses in many industries, including technology, healthcare, real estate, financial services, hospitality, and consulting services. Clients look to him for strategic guidance through all stages of the acquisition process, from the letter of intent stage, through due diligence and definitive agreement negotiation, to closing and post-closing matters.
Mark represents departing partners and members in high-value business divorces and other partnership disputes, and often guides his clients through the transition phase of their next venture. In addition, he frequently represents closely held businesses and emerging companies navigate sensitive separation matters in connection with departing founders, executive officers, and shareholders.
Prior to joining Riggs Davie, Mark served as the privacy officer for a Fortune 500 publicly-traded company. Mark often leverages his extensive data privacy experience in advising startups, outside general counsel clients, and buyers and sellers in M&A transactions on various state and federal privacy compliance issues. Mark also guides businesses in the development of information security policies and procedures and provides executive and employee training on HIPAA and state-level data privacy compliance.
Outside General Counsel Services
Many businesses also look to Mark as their outside “general counsel” for day-to-day legal needs. Mark supports business clients in this capacity in the following areas:
- Negotiating key software development partnerships and SAAS agreements
- Commercial contract drafting, review, and negotiation
- Drafting and negotiating commercial lease transactions
- Developing key employee and executive compensation plans like stock option or profits interest plans
- Developing and managing vendor risk management programs and records management programs
- Advising boards of directors and management teams on corporate governance, emerging risks, and compliance issues
Many of these businesses benefit from the expertise Mark gained as in-house corporate counsel for a large publicly-traded company where he served as lead attorney on strategic commercial and technology transactions and data privacy matters. Mark’s unique in-house background also furthers the primary goal of his practice—to be a problem solver first. Mark believes in developing an intimate understanding of the businesses he serves, and as a result, often helps clients navigate the broader landscape of the difficult decisions they face.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Closed an acquisition of a digital media company and a strategic talent and licensing partnership within the media and entertainment industry valued at approximately $15M (depending on certain post-closing contingent consideration).
- Closed an asset sale of a technology business to a publicly traded, strategic buyer valued at up to $6M (depending on post-closing earn-out results).
- Closed an equity sale of a field marketing organization within the insurance industry to a private equity firm valued at approximately $13M.
- Closed an asset sale of an events production business to a strategic buyer valued at approximately $5M.
- Closed the sale of a family-owned business to a strategic buyer for approximately $5.5M.
- Closed an acquisition of a technology consulting firm by a strategic buyer valued at approximately $3M.
- Closed a strategic joint venture between a pharmaceutical and alternative medicine business and an events management company.
Venture Capital/Debt and Equity Raises
- Represented hospitality company in a $50M capital raise through a private offering of preferred equity.
- Represented a financial services company in a $200M debt financing.
- Represented a restaurant group in an early-stage $1M equity financing.
- Represented a financial services company in a $10M debt financing from private investors.
- Represented a healthcare technology company in multiple seed financing rounds.
- Represented several startup companies within and outside the technology sector in early-stage rounds of equity and debt raises, including by issuance of convertible notes, SAFEs, and preferred equity.
- Represented an investor in a $1.5M investor rights dispute that arose in connection with a strategic acquisition; resolved the matter in client’s favor in pre-litigation settlement.
- Represented departing “big law” partners in separation and formation of a new law firm.
- Represented a departing member of a prominent CPA firm; resolved separation in a pre-litigation settlement valued at approximately $1M.
- Represented hedge funds and private equity firms in multiple partnership disputes with departing members and executives.
Equity Compensation Arrangements
- Represented a financial services company in implementing a wide variety of key employee compensation plans, including short-term and long-term bonus plans, change-in-control bonus plans tied to equity value, and profits interests plans.
- Represented a digital media company in implementing a change in control bonus plan tied to equity value.
- Implemented an incentive units/profits interest plan for a hedge fund and private equity firm.
104 Continental Place
Brentwood, TN 37027
Emory University School of Law (J.D. 2012), graduated with honors
Harding University (M.B.A. 2011), Leadership and Organizational Communication
Middle Tennessee State University (B.S. 2005), Music Business